Canterbury Gardens, located at 190B Canterbury Road, Canterbury, are an example of the Gardenesque style of gardens from the early 1900s.
Today, a selection of established trees from this time survives but few of the original smaller plants still exist. The park features rolling lawns, specimen trees and superb, colourful displays of perennial borders and annual beds.
The land was fenced in 1903 and named Canterbury Reserve after Viscount Canterbury the Governor of Victoria (1866–1873). Since the 1940s Carols by Candlelight has been held in the gardens, and it is a popular venue for local residents’ celebrations – the setting is ideal for weddings – and recreation throughout the year.