Heritage listed Catani Gardens is named after its Italian born designer, Carlo Catani – a prominent landscape designer in the late 19th century. The original 1910 lava rock wall encloses the park on the west boundary, extending from the edge of the Gardens along the southwest boundary and past the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron. It incorporates a number of openings into the Gardens and onto Pier Road for access to the beach.
Historic boulevards of Canary Island palms trees line the walking paths and visually define the gardens. Events are common in the gardens.